Alternate spellings: Shevchovich, Sepsovich
Family of Yokhved Shevtsovich and
Fayvl Itzikovich in Trashkun (1910)
Family of Shimen Shevtsovich (Sevciovic)
in São Paulo, Brazil (~1939)
Gershon Shevtsovich, son of Movsha Shevtsovich, was born in Rogeve (Raguva) ~1836. Sometime before 1857 he married Rivka (Sheyne Rivka) Karpov, born in 1834. Rivka died in Trashkun in 1895. On 11 August 1895 in Ponevezh (Panevežys), Gershon married Mirel (Mia), born in 1855, daughter of Reuven. Gershon died in Trashkun in 1907.
The six children of Gershon Shevtsovich and his first wife Rivka Karpov:
I. Yochved Shevtsovich was born in Trashkun in 1859. She married Fayvl (Fayvish Shraga Menachem) Itzikovich, son of Orel (Aharon) and Feyge. In 1927, five years after her husband Fayvl died, she emigrated with her daughter-in-law and grandson to join her youngest son Bentzl Itzikovich in Winnipeg, Canada. She later moved to the United States to live near her sister Esther. Yochved died in Superior, Wisconsin on 8 March 1940.
- PHOTO Yochved Itzikovich, née Shevtsovich
PHOTO Yochved with Fayvl & children (1910)
PHOTO Yochved's departure to Canada (1927)
PHOTO Yochved with son Bentzl and family, before & after emigration
PHOTO Yochved with sister and other relatives in Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
PHOTO Gravestone of Yochved Itzikovich
DOCUMENT Yochved's internal passport (1920)
DOCUMENT Yochved's passport (probably 1927)
- Yochved Shevtsovich and Fayvl Itzikovich had ten children:
(See details of the ten children on the Itzikovich family page.)
- 1. Sarah (Sore Malke) Itzikovich
- 2. Pesl (Sheyne Peshe) Itzikovich
- 3. Velve (Wulf) Zalman Itzikovich
- 4. Orel (Aharon) Itzikovich, later Harry Barr
- 5. Joe (Yosl, Yosef Leyzer) Itzikovich, later Joe Eckovitz
- 6. Leybe (Yehuda Leybe) Itzikovich, later the "other" Louis Kovitz
- 7. Hilke (Chaim Gilel) Itzikovich, later Louis Kovitz
- 8. Roy (Reuven Shaul) Itzikovich, later Roy Kovitz
- 9. Daniel Itzikovich, later Daniel Kovitz
- 10. Bentzion (Bentzl) Kovitz, later Ben Kovitz
II. Miral/Mirka (Mary) Shevtsovich was born in Trashkun ~1869. She married Samuel (Shlioma Zev) Waldman, born ~1870 in Kaunas Gubernia, Lithuania. They emigrated to New York, where Samuel Waldman died in 1936. Mirka died 6 November 1962 in New York.
- The five children of Miral Shevchovich and Samuel Waldman:
- 1. Hyman (Chaim Itsik) Waldman was born 4 May 1891 in Trashkun. In New York on 31 October 1915 he married Helen (Naja Necha) Ringer (born ~1890 in Vilnius, died 2 February 1992 in Bronx, New York). Hyman died on 5 February 1950 in Brooklyn, New York. The three children of Hyman Waldman and Helen Ringer:
- Yetta Waldman was born in Brooklyn, New York, on 26 November 1916. On 10 July 1937 in New York she married Milton (Meir) Philip Goldstein, who was born in Islip, New York, on 15 December 1911. They had four children. Yetta died on 6 March 2001 in Loxahatchee, Florida. Milton died on 18 March 2001 in Cherry Hill, New Jersey.
- Gertrude Waldman was born on 18 September 1920 in New York, New York. She died there as an infant on 21 September 1920.
- Nathan Waldman was born in Brooklyn, New York, on 29 July 1923. In 1946 in Brooklyn he married Betty (Yetta) Abromowitz, who was born in New York on 24 July 1926. They had two children. Betty died on 29 May 2013.
- 2. Isidore "Izzy" (Eisig) Waldman was born 24 May 1896 in Trashkun. On 15 March 1919 in New York, he married Ida (Chaya) Tannenbaum (born 15 March 1897 in Nemirov, Ukraine; died October 1971 in Miami, Florida). Hyman died 22 September 1992 in Miami, Florida. The three children of Isidore Waldman and Ida Tannenbaum:
- Ruth Waldman was born in New York City on 20 January 1920. In New York on 24 August 1940 she married Henry Smul, who was born in New York on 12 June 1915. They had four children. Henry died in October 1977 in Great Neck, New York. Ruth died in Manhasset, New York, on 1 January 1979.
- Frieda M. (Fritzie) Waldman was born in Brooklyn, New York, on 15 July 1941. In New York on 26 October 1940 she married Irving Grossman (later Bell), who was born in Rochester, New York, on 14 May 1920. They had two children. Irving died in Las Vegas, Nevada, in February 1978. In ~1979 Frieda married Carl Gustav Burnburg, who was born in Chicago, Illinois, on 4 December 1928. Frieda died in Las Vegas, Nevada, on 21 July 2004. Carl died in Palm Springs, California, on 14 May 2011.
- Elaine M. Waldman was born in New York on 30 June 1932. In 1950 in New York she married Irwin Mark Steizer, who was born on 22 May 1922. They had one son. On 27 February 1968 in Newport, Vermont, Elaine married her second husband, George John Kyer, who was born in Connecticut on 9 January 1935, and died in Bradenton, Florida, on 5 June 2009. Sometime after 1980 Elaine married Blaise N. Saunders, who was born on 5 June 1928.
- 3. Sadie (Sheina Rivka) Waldman was born 2 July 1899 in Trashkun. In New York on 7 December 1919, she married Irving J. (Yitzhak) "Izzy" Dembowitz (born in New York on 2 August 1898, died in New York on 18 May 1959). Sadie died in January 1994 in Commack, New York. The four children of Sadie Waldman and Irving Dembowitz:
- Nathan Dembowitz was born in New York, New York, on 4 August 1920. He died at age 11 on 24 December 1931 in Salem, Ohio.
- Eugene Dembowitz was born in New York on 16 August 1927. In 1956 in the Bronx, New York, he married Marilyn B. Sapiro, who was born on 21 December 1925. They had two daughters. Eugene died in Queens, New York, on 29 May 2011.
- Charlotte Dembowitz was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on 24 August 1931. In 1951 in Brooklyn, New York, she married Philip May, who was born in Brooklyn on 31 July 1930. They had four children. Philip died in Allentown, Pennsylvania, on 19 February 2014.
- Sandra V. Dembowitz was born on 11 February 1937. In 1957 in Brooklyn, New York, she married Norman H. Finkelstein, who was born in Brooklyn on 1 August 1934. They had two daughters. Norman died on 5 July 2004.
- 4. Oscar (Chatzkal) Waldman was born ~1902 in Trashkun. On 1 December 1923 in New York, he married Ida T. Wohl (born ~1906 in New York). Oscar died on 18 April 1938 in Brooklyn, New York. Ida died in New York City, date unknown. The two children of Oscar Waldman and Ida Wohl:
- Seymour L. Waldman was born in New York on 14 September 1924. In 1945 in Brooklyn, New York, he married Lucille (Lucy) Messitte, who was born in New York on 28 April 1926. They had two children. Lucy died in Broward County, Florida, on 8 May 1998. On 3 September 2000 in Broward County, Florida, Seymour married Shirley Halpern, who was born in ~1927. Seymour died in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on 19 March 2016.
- Gerald Norman Waldman was born in New York, New York, on 27 December 1931. In 1958 in Brooklyn, New York, he married Carol Feagin, who was born on 30 December 1934. They had three children. Gerald died in Cape Coral, Florida, on 3 August 2006.
- 5. Lena (Leah Chiene) Waldman was born 13 March 1903 in Trashkun. On 28 July 1923 in New York, she married Harry (Chaim) Gard (born 8 November 1900 in Poland/Russia, died 4 July 1971 in New York). Lena died on 14 March 1968 in Dade County, Florida. The two children of Lena Waldman and Harry Gard:
- Edith (Chaya Etka) Gard was born in New York, New York, on 6 September 1924. In 1946 in Brooklyn, New York, she married Theodore (Ted) E. Slatkin, who was born in Brooklyn on 30 May 1920. They had three sons. Edith died in Woodmere, New York, on 18 April 1994. Ted died in Boynton Beach, Florida, on 6 December 2009.
- Edward Gard was born in New York, New York, on 15 June 1927. in 1956 in Queens, New York, he married Renee Kanner, who was born in ~1933 in New York. They had three children. Renee died on 15 November 1981.
III. Esther Shevtsovich was born in Trashkun in 1870 or 1872. In 1896, she married Eleck/Itzik (Yitzhak) Cohen (later Alex Cohen), son of Abram and Chana, born in Keydan (Kedainiai) on 15 September 1869. They emigrated to the United States around the turn of the century and lived in Duluth, Minnesota. Esther died in Duluth on 24 August 1946. Alex died in Duluth on 19 August 1956.
PHOTO Esther Shevtsovich Cohen with husband and relatives in Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
- The seven children of Ester Shevtsovich and Itzik/Alex Cohen:
- 1. Sadie Cohen was born in Trashkun on 17 March 1897. On 7 March 1916 she married Henry Ringer, born 15 August 1890. Sadie and Henry both died in St. Paul, Minnesota, Henry on 15 May 1979, Sadie on 14 July 1989. The four children of Sadie Cohen and Henry Ringer:
- Helen P. Ringer, born 4 March 1917 in St. Louis County, Minnesota; married Michael (Meyer) Libman. They had two children.
- Betty Rose Ringer, born 18 March 1920 in St. Louis County, Minnesota; married David Goldstein. They had two children.
- Anita Maria (Marian) Ringer, born 10 December 1923 in St. Louis County, Minnesota; died as a young child on 1 January 1927 in St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Sherman Ringer, born 26 November 1932 in St. Paul, Minnesota; married Janet Goldstein from Germany. They had two sons.
- 2. Benjamin Cohen was born in Trashkun in 1899. He died 10 April 1918 in Duluth, Minnesota.
- 3. Peter Harry Cohen was born in Duluth, Minnesota on 1 January 1902. On 30 May 1937 he married Minnie Goldstein, born 10 January 1911 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Peter died in Duluth, Minnesota on 14 May 1983. Minnie died in Wausau, Wisconsin on 26 September 1997. The three children of Peter Cohen and Minnie Goldstein:
- Robert Roy Cohen, born 3 June 1939, married Irit Goren. They had one child. Robert died in 2014.
- Sydney Brian Cohen, born 18 November 1942 in Duluth, Minnesota; married Lois Rae Cohodas, born 7 March 1947 in Wausau, Wisconsin, and they had one son. He later married Claudia Louise Nygaard in St. Louis County, Minnesota.
- Elaine Donna Cohen, born 20 June 1947; married Robert Kane.
- 4. Sarah Molly Cohen was born in Duluth, Minnesota on 3 December 1903. She married Robert Dan Jordan, and she died in Ojai, California on 6 November 1994.
- 5. Morris N. Cohen (nickname "Red") was born in Minnesota on 22 April 1906. He died in Orange County, California on 5 December 1990.
- 6. Gordon Cohen was born in Duluth, Minnesota on 11 April 1910. On 17 March 1957 he married Sylvia Stewart, born in Duluth, Minnesota on 10 April 1912. Sylvia died in Duluth on 20 October 1996. Gordon died in St. Paul, Minnesota on 28 January 2000.
- 7. Irvin H. Cohen, later Irvin H. Colt, was born in Duluth, Minnesota on 7 November 1915. He married Joyce Goldstein, born in Wisconsin on 22 January 1918. Joyce died in Los Angeles, California on 4 April 1988. Irvin died in Stanton, California on 1 October 2007.
IV. Reyna Beyla Shevtsovich was born in 1872.
V. Moshe (Leyzer Moyshe) Shevtsovich was born in 1874. He was a shoemaker and owned a wooden house. He married Chaya Reyza Demb, born ~1870. Moshe died in Trashkun on 8 February 1940.
- The two known children of Moshe Shevtsovich and Chaya Reyza Demb:
- 1. Frida Shevtsovich was born in Trashkun ~1901. On 1 July 1927 she married Itzik Lape, a shoemaker, born ~1885 in Paskonija, a small village near Birzh (Biržai).
- 2. Shmuel Shevtsovich was born ~1903 in Trashkun. In Aniksht (Anykščiai) on 2 January 1931 he married Buna Rocha Karp, born ~1909 in Aniksht.
DOCUMENT Internal passport application of Shmuel Shevtsovich (1920)
VI. Gita (Gitel) Shevtsovich was born in 1876. She married Eliash Ekel Klatzko, son of Abram Shaya Klatzko and Leah Tauba Waldman. Eliash mostly likely died before 1921. In 1921, Gita and the three children returned from Saransk, Russia, where the family had been exiled during World War I.[NOTE]In 1915, during World War I, tens of thousands of Jews were forcibly expelled to the east by the Russian authorities. Most returned to their homes after the war.
- The three children of Gitel Shevtsovich and Eliash Klatzko:
- 1. Etel Feyga Klatzko was born 1901 in Trashkun. On 19 September 1924 in Trashkun she married Daniel Rach (born ~1901 in Shkumyan [Skiemonys], Lithuania). Later she married David Katz.
- The only known child of Etel Klatzko and David Katz is:
- Chava Katz, born in Lithuania in July 1931. She died as an infant on 27 August 1931 in Shkumyan (Skiemonys), Utena.
- 2. Shaya Isai Klatzko was born ~1903 in Trashkun. He married Chana Jacobson.
- The four known children of Shaya Klatzko and Chana Jacobson:
- Elke Klatzko, born 1928 in Kupeshok (Kupiškis).
- Sora Feyga Klatzko, born 1928 in Kupeshok (Kupiškis).
- Ete Klatzko, born 1931 in Kupeshok (Kupiškis).
- Zisle Klatzko, born 1935 in Kupeshok (Kupiškis).
- 3. Yudisa (Yudele) Klatzko was born ~1909 in Trashkun. On 12 June 1929 in Trashkun she married Rachmiel Gordon, born in 1905 in Trashkun, son of Boruch Gordon and Basha Yuzent. (See recollection of Yudisa and Rachmiel in Berl Glezer's memoir.)
- The four known children of Yudisa Klatzko and Rachmiel Gordon:
- Eliash Shlioma Gordon, born 27 November 1929 in Ponevezh (Panevėžys).
- Yosel Chaykel Gordon, born 16 August 1931 in Trashkun.
- Freyda Gordon, born 4 January 1933 in Trashkun.
- Motel Gordon, born 12 February 1936 in Trashkun.
The four known children of Gershon Shevtsovich and his second wife Mirel:
VII. Sheyna Riva or Sheyna Leya Shevtsovich was born ~1896 in Trashkun. She married Leyb Liakovsky, who was born in 1891 in Kovno, son of Ruvel Liakovsky.
DOCUMENT Internal passport application of Sheyna Liakovsky, née Shevtsovich
DOCUMENT Internal passport application of Leyb Liakovsky
- The four known children of Sheyna Riva Shevtsovich and Leyb Liakovsky:
- 1. Tauba/Toyba Liakovsky, born in 1911.
- 2. Ruven Liakovsky, born in 1922.
- 3. Sara Feyga Liakovsky, born in 1925.
- 4. Gitel Liakovsky, born in Trashkun on 27 February 1938.
VIII. Mera Beyla Shevtsovich was born ~1898 in Trashkun.
IX. Pesa Shevtsovich was born ~1899 in Trashkun.
Shevtsovich / Sevciovic family
ca. 1939 (click to enlarge)
X. Shimen (Shimel) Shevtsovich, later Simon Sevciovic, was born in Trashkun on 2 May 1902. He married Rocha Hechter/Gekhter of Aniksht (Anykščiai), daughter of Eliash Hechter and Chava Berman. Not long after the death of their son Gershon, Shimel emigrated to Brazil, arriving on 12 June 1926. Rocha and their surviving son joined him later, arriving on 7 July 1928. Rocha's mother Chava joined the family in 1936. Rocha died on 18 September 1970, and Shimel died on 15 October 1984, both in São Paulo, Brazil.
PHOTO Simon with his family in Brazil (~1939)
PHOTO Simon's wife Rocha with granddaughter Annette (1956)
PHOTO Simon with his granddaughter Evelyn (1956)
PHOTO Simon and his wife Rocha (1969)
DOCUMENT Internal passport application of Shimen Shevtsovich (1920)
DOCUMENT Lithuanian passport of Shimen Shevtsovich (1926)
DOCUMENT Lithuanian passport of Rocha Shevtsovich and her son Eliash (1927)
DOCUMENT Rocha and Eliash Shevtsovich on passenger list of SS Cap Polonio (1928)
- The three children of Shimel Shevtsovich and Rocha Hechter:
- 1. Gershon Shevtsovich was born in Trashkun. He died in Ponevezh (Panevėžys) as a young child on 6 April 1926.
- 2. Eliash (Eliahu) Shevtsovich, later Elias Sevciovic, was born in Trashkun on 2 January 1922, and emigrated to Brazil in 1928 at age six. He married Clara Paulina Fishman (Fichman), and they had four daughters. Elias died in São Paulo on 3 February 1993.
PHOTO Elias with his family in Brazil (~1939)
PHOTO Elias and his wife Clara (~1960)
- 3. Mirel Sevsiovic was born on 9 April 1936 in São Paulo, Brazil. In 1960 she married Israel Granatovicz and they had two children. Mirel died in São Paulo on 14 August 2002.
PHOTO Mirel as a child with her family in Brazil (~1939)
PHOTO Mirel on her wedding day (1960)
PHOTO At Mirel's wedding, her new husband Israel dances with Clara, Eliash's wife (1960)