alternate spellings: Juter, Yutar, Etter
▶ See also The Summer of 1941 VIDEO by Miriam Shumacher Krakinowski, daughter of Perl Yuter
Yudel Shlioma Yuter (born ~1824) was one of Moshe Yuter's four known sons. Yudel Shlioma was married three times. His first known son from his first wife Fruma (born in 1831) was Eliash Zalman, the only brother known to settle in Trashkun.
Eliash Zalman Yuter was born in Rogeve (Raguva) in 1852. He married Sora Levinson (born ~1849) and they raised their family in Trashkun. According to their granddaughter Miriam Shumacher Krakinowsky, they had 11 children, although only seven are known. Eliash Zalman died on 12 January 1923, and Sora died on 15 June 1924, both in Trashkun.
The seven known children of Eliash Zalman Yuter and Sora Levinson:
I. David Moshe Yutar was born ~1876 in Trashkun. On 22 August 1900 in Ponevezh (Panevėžys) he married Rose (Vichna Reyza) Frumer (born ~1878 in Ponevezh). David died on 29 July 1948, and Rose died on 22 November 1955, both in Cape Town, South Africa.
- The eight children of David Moshe Yutar and Rose Frumer:
- Leah Yutar was born ~1902 in Trashkun. In 1927 she married Louis (Yehuda Leib) Waynik, who was born 8 April 1904 in Vashky (Vaškai), Lithuania. Leah died on 31 May 1985, and Louis died on 25 January 1995, both in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Bessie Yutar was born sometime after 1902. On 5 March 1944 she married Nathan Glazer (born 12 January 1909).
- Fanny Yutar was born sometime after 1902 in South Africa. She married Abe Horowitz, and sometime before 1940 she married Joseph Green.
- Solly (Shlomo) Yutar was born in Lithuania in 1903. On 4 December 1932 he married Yetta (Yaha Beyla) Levin (born ~1900). Solly died on 4 May 1977, and Yetta died on 9 May 1982, both in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Annie Yutar was born ~1904 in South Africa. She died on 25 February 1936 in South Africa.
- Max (Mordechai) Yutar was born ~1907 in South Africa. On 3 May 1951 in Vredehoek, Cape Town, South Africa, he married Hannah Oliver (born ~1926). Hannah died on 29 October 1979 in Cape Town. On 24 December 1980 in Vredehoek, Max married Ealine Kahn. Max died on 28 May 1994 in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Barney Yutar was born in 1910 in South Africa. On 26 March 1939 he married Esther Kopman (born ~1912 in Latvia, died 19 January 1978). Sometime after 1951, Barney married his second wife Sylvia (Sheyna) Juliet Maserow (born 23 August 1923 in Boksburg, Gauteng, South Africa). Barney died on 21 March 1993, and Sylvia died on 25 July 2006, both in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Percy Yutar was born in Cape Town, South Africa, on 29 July 1911. On 30 March 1948 he married Cecilia Ada (Tsippie) Feinsinger (born 11 September 1921 in Bloemfontein, South Africa). Percy died on 13 July 2002 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
II. Fanny (Esther Fruma) Yuter was born in 1882 in Trashkun. In 1901 or 1902, she married Israel (Izzy) Katz (born 15 January 1878 in Kaunas Gubernia, Lithuania). Fanny died on 15 June 1940, and Israel died on 21 March 1958, both in Port Chester, New York.
- The six children of Fanny Yuter and Israel Katz:
- Samuel Harry Katz (later Kayne) was born 9 September 1902 in Trashkun. In 1930 he married Eleanor T. Shure (born 8 June 1909 in Connecticut, died 23 March 1999 in Hamden, Connecticut). On 6 February 1934 in the Bronx, New York, Samuel married his second wife, Bertha H. Klubok (born 10 November 1907 in New York City). Samuel died on 21 October 1987 in Northridge, Los Angeles, California. Bertha died on 19 November 1996 in Los Angeles, California.
- Bertha (Beyle) Katz was born 13 May 1907 in Port Chester, New York. In 1926 or 1927, she married Michael David Krevlin (born 10 September 1894 in Moghilev, Russia). Michael died on 8 December 1961, and Bertha died on 8 June 1977, both in Port Chester, New York.
- Celia Sarah (Tsirul) Katz was born 22 February 1909 in Port Chester, New York. on 2 March 1930 in Martinique Mansion, Bronx, New York, she married Arthur J. Schiff (born 22 July 1907 in New York City). Celia died in 1977, and Arthur died on 24 December 1994, both in Port Chester, New York.
- Minnie (May) Katz was born 17 January 1911 in Port Chester, New York. She married Samuel Feldman (born 9 November 1898 in the USA). Samuel died on 12 March 1968, and Minnie died on 1 July 2004, both in Greenwich, Connecticut.
- Florence (Fay) Katz was born 10 January 1913 in Port Chester, New York. On 28 October 1934, she married Philip (Phil) A. Solomon (born 26 February 1913 in New York). Florence died in Yonkers, New York, on 16 July 2002. Philip died in Ossining, New York, on 1 May 2008.
- Marion (Babe) Katz was born 3 March 1917 in Port Chester, New York. She married Albert Rosenfeld (born 25 May 1910 in Lithuania). Albert died in August 1978 in Port Chester, New York.
III. Samuel (Shapsa Leyzer) Yuter was born 25 August 1883 in Trashkun. He married Lena Segal (born 15 April 1897 in Trashkun). Samuel died in January 1963, and Lena died in July 1974, both in Pretoria, South Africa.
PHOTO Shapsa and Lena Yuter with their Reyzman (Roseman) and Segal relatives (~1910)
- The four children of Samuel Yuter and Lena Segal:
- Simmy Yuter was born 26 April 1917 in Pretoria, South Africa. He married Miriam (Midge/Midje) Bernstein (born 26 June 1930). They had no children. Simmy died in Pretoria on 5 November 2016.
- Cyril Yuter was born 12 March 1924 in Pretoria, South Africa. He married Rhoda Slonimsky (born 29 March 1926 in Pretoria, South Africa), and he died in September 1985 in Pretoria, South Africa.
- Sarah Yuter and her twin sister Zelda were born in Cape Town, South Africa, on 22 June 1929. Sarah married Wolfie Smith (born in Johannesburg, South Africa), and she died in June 2015.
- Zelda Yuter and her twin sister Sarah were born in Cape Town, South Africa, on 22 June 1929. On 10 February 1952 in Pretoria, South Africa, Zelda married Max Lazar. Zelda died in July 1971 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
IV. Benzion Yuter
V. Sheyna (Sheynka) Yuter emigrated to Palestine in the 1930s.
VI. Ida (Chaya Rivka) Yuter was born in Trashkun in 1893. Around 1924 she married Sam Cabacoff (born 10 May 1893 in Bobrosk, Minsk, Russia). Sam died on 1 January 1968 in New Haven, Connecticut. Ida died in June 1976 in Port Chester, New York.
VII. Perl (Perke) Yuter was born ~1896 in Trashkun, the youngest of 11 children, according to her daughter Miriam. On 14 March 1922 Perl married Chaim Shumacher (born in 1898 in Aniksht [Anykščiai]). Both Perl and Chaim were killed in Trashkun by Lithuanian Nazi sympathizers in July 1941, and were buried in the mass grave at the Old Jewish Cemetery.
- The four children of Perl Yuter and Chaim Shumacher:
- Miriam Shumacher was born in Trashkun on 22 May 1924. She was a student in Kovno (Kaunas) when World War II started, and survived the Kovno ghetto and forced labor. (Read the story of Miriam's escape and rescue.) On 14 February 1945 in Kovno, Miriam married fellow survivor Moshe (Morris) Krakinowski (born in Kovno on 11 January 1922). They emigrated to the US after the war. Miriam died on 1 April 2010, and Moshe died on 30 December 2016.
PHOTO Graves of Miriam Shumacher Krakinowski and Morris Krakinowski
VIDEOS Miriam revisits Trashkun in 1993 and tells what happened to her parents and sisters in 1941.
- Ester Shumacher was born in Trashkun in April 1927. She was killed at Pajuoste in August 1941.
- Chana Leah Shumacher was born in Trashkun on 24 July 1930. She was killed at Pajuoste in August 1941.
- Sara Shumacher (fourth child, birth date unknown) died of smallpox at age two or three.
Additional Resource: The Yuter Family: Our common ancestor by Elinor V. Yuter and Beryl Juter Baleson (1998) includes a family tree and a short chapter called “The Troshkun Yuters” on pages 17-18. (See digital copy.)