22 May 2011
|Novolabun' emblem during
Russian Empire period. This emblem was adopted on 22 January
1796. The two-headed eagle is similar to the emblem of the
The lower portion shows a field and an apple tree, representing the
verdant and fertile agricultural lands in the area.
|Geographical Dictionary of the Polish
Kingdom and other Slavic Countries, Volume V, 1884
[click on title, above, to see the original Polish document]
District....about 16 [km] west of Polonnoye, at the confluence of the
Poganka and Khomora (nearby communities include Labun, Chrolin,
In 1870, Labun had 496 houses with 1796 occupants - 37% were
Catholic Church, 5 orthodox churches, 3 chapels, synagogue, 2 prayer
houses, beer brewery, 3 cement kilns, 6 oil pressing facilities, 3
brickyards, 2 water mills, 26 shops, 51 craftsmen, weekly farmers'
St. Ann's Catholic Church was built from stone in 1731 by Farther Jozef
Lubomierski. Within the parish there were branches from Hryciv
chapels in Kuskowie, Kalenichach, Malych, Mikuline and Onachowcach.
At the end of the XVI Century, the land belonged to the Labunski
family. Christopher and his wife Anna Chomiakowna built the
Church of the Holy Trinity.
The next landowners were Lubomierskis. Despite fortifications,
town was damaged during the Chmielnicicich War. At the end of
XVIII Century - when August III was King of Poland, the town was
inherited by Jozef Stempkowski who married the daughter of Duke Martin
Lubomierski, famous for holding parties and spending, who built a
spectacular palace replacing the ruins of the old and small castle.
The palace became famous for balls and parties and Polish King
Stanislaw August visited it twice in 1781 and 1787. Details can
found in memoirs of Mr. Ohocki. Stempkowski's fortune was sold to
bills in 1792. In 8 April 1793, clergy and nobility met
and pledged their allegiance to the Russian Tsar Katherine
[translated by Andrew Dziobek]
|Cohen, Chester G.
(2007) Shtetl Finder:
Jewish Communities in the 19th and Early 20th Centuries in the Pale of
Settlement of Russia and Poland, Heritage Books, Inc.
|Labun, W of Kiev
Southwest of and close to Polna (Polonnoye). 1890 - Meir Lerner,
born 1867, was appointed rabbi.
|Mokotoff, Gary, &
Sallyann Amdur with Alexander Sharon (2002) Where Once We Walked, Avotaynu,
|Yurovshchina, Ukr; (Labun) 104 km SE of Rivne
|Spector, Shmuel (editor)
(2001) The Encyclopedia of Jewish
Life Before and During the Holocaust, New York University Press.
dist., Ukraine. Jews are first mentioned in 1705 . . . Jewish
population was 432 in 1765, rising to 1,192 in 1847 and dropping to 952
in 1923 . . .
|World War II: By 5
July 1941, the Germans occupied Labun and Polonnoye and other villages
and towns in the area. Click the Holocaust
link for pages about Labun during this time period.