After the establishment of the Fort Elizavet, in 1754,
around this fort a new type of trade was developed. Among the first
merchants who attended these fairs four times a year were Jews, as
well as others, who came from Poland, Austria and Turkey. Officially Jews
were allowed to settle in Novoroshiskia, as the territory was called at
that time. This was established by the ukase of November 16, 1769. Besides
the cities and shtetls in which the Jews had small shops and trading
posts, where were also some agricultural colonies which were organized by
The everyday lives of the peasants, in spite of large
subsidies from the government, were so fragile and difficult and so
economically marginaly thast the ukase of April 6, 1810, the government
halted the movement of Jews into the Novotoshiski province which order was
lifted only in 1837, and in all Jewish colonies in Kherson province in
In Khersonia there were about 1,532 families who lived in fifteen
colonies. The largest of these colonies were several in Elizavetgard
county. There were Glomokleye, Yisrealevka and Sadaidak. These colonies
remained in existances as collectives until 1941.
The following data is from 1896 as translated from the original reports
of the local police chief of Bobrinyets suburb about the Glomokleye
colony,. It is a kind of inventory of his responsibilities.
"48 families and houses, population 334 (164 male, 170 felmaes).
There was Jewish house of worship, a post office, a small general store
and a bath house. The nearest city was 75 versts (50 miles)".