Numerous books have been written on the Jews of Kraków, but most of them were written subsequent to the Holocaust period. Despite being few in number, several early books do exist. The books listed below can be found in the Judaica Section of the Central Library of the University of Jerusalem (Givat Ram Campus). They are all old, fragile, and written in old 'Biblical' Hebrew.
Photocopies of these books can be obtained from the Library. The contents of these books are summarized below.
(Data provided by Jacob Laor)
1) L'Korot Ha'Yehudim B'Polin Uve'Yehud B'Krakow (The history of Jews in Poland and in particular in Krakow)
Written by Feiwus Wetstein - Krakow 1918
First edition by "Ha'Magid" 1895 - 1897
Contents: This is a summary of the history of the Jews in Krakow and Kazimierz. It is far smaller, but very similar to the book (in Polish) by Mayer Balaban.
2) L'Toldot Israel V'Hahamay B'Polin (The history of Israel and its leaders in Poland)
Written by Feiwus Wetstein - Krakow 1909
Contents: Essays about Rabbis from Krakow in the 16th century, including:
Rabbi Fishel from Krakow
Rabbi Jacob Pollak
Rabbi Shmuel Rofeh
Rabbi Moshe Isserles (the 'Remuh')
3) Divrei Hefetz - Mi Pinkasei Ha'Kahal B'Krakow. (Chapters from the Jewish community books of Krakow)
Written by Feiwus Wetstein
Contents: Chapters from the Jewish community books. Also includes information about Rabbis and community leaders.
4) Sefer Kilat Yoffi - Toldot Rabanim Ve'Geonim Metzuanim Me'Irei Hagola (History of Rabbis and religious leaders)
Written by Haim Nathan Dembitzer - Krakow 1893
Contents: History of Rabbis from all Poland, including some from Krakow
5) L'Toldot Israel Ve'Hahamei B'Polin (History of Israel and its religious leaders in Poland)
Written by Feiwus Wetstein - Krakow 1913
Written in memory of Nathan Dembitzer on the 20th anniversary of his death. (Wetstein was his assistant)
Contents: Stories about the following Rabbis:
Rabbi Moshe Auerbach
Rabbi Eleazar and Rabbi Israel Lazaresh
Rabbi Moshe Aberles
Rabbi Moshe Landau
Rabbi Eliezer Triyosh
Rabbi Feywel and Rabbi Zalman Zeydish
Rabbi Leizer Feybish and Rabbi Abraham Hazkuny
Rabbi Moshe Gabai and Rabbi Dawid Darshan
Rabbi Moshe Sztarr and Rabbi Wolf Paper
Rabbi Zwi Bachtinsz and Rabbi Moshe Braunzweig
Rabbi Yechezkia Yehoshua Feywel Teomim
Statistics about the Jewish population of Krakow and deaths in the community in the years 1543 - 1900. (Numbers of deaths for some years, but almost no names).
Leaders of the "Vaad Arba Aratzot"
6) Le'Toldot Gedolei Israel (A history of great Jewish leaders)
Written by Feiwus Wetstein - Warsaw 1904
Contents: - Stories about 30 Rabbis from Krakow and their families.
7) Mi'Pinkasei Ha'Kahal Be'Krakow - Le'Korot Israel Ve'Hahamei, Rabanei Ve'Manhigei Be'Polania Behlal U'veKrakow Be'Prat (From the Jewish community books in Krakow - The history of Jews and its leaders and Rabbis in Poland in general and in Krakow in particular)
Written by Feiwus Wetstein - Breslau
Contents: Sixteen documents about Rabbis and community leaders, including the oldest one (as Wetstein writes) from 1485.
8) Devarim Atikim Mi'Pinkasei Ha'Kahal Be'Krakow Le'Korot Israel Ve'Hahamei, Rabanei Ve'Manhigei Be'Polania Behlal U'veKrakow Be'Prat (Old Writings - From the Jewish community books in Krakow concerning the history of Jewish leaders and Rabbis in Poland general and in Krakow in particular.
Written by Feiwus Wetstein - Krakow 1906
Contents: 38 documents from the books of the Jewish community concerning various events in the Jewish community of Krakow.
9) Ir Ha'Tzeddek (Town of Righteousness)
Written by Matitiahu Zunz - Lemberg (Lwow ) - 1874
Contents: A history of Krakow, 26 Rabbis and Heads of Yeshivot, their books, and some stories about Jewish life in Krakow. In the list are Rabbis - Moshe Iserles, David Shapira, Mordehai Singer, Eliezer Aszkenazy, Moshe Mordechai Margoliot, Yom Tov Lipman Heller, Yitzhak Landau, and many others.
10) Mapelet Ir Ha'Tzeddek (The defeat of the Town of Righteousness)
Written by Joel Dembitzer
Contents: A critical book concerning the book of Matitiahu Zunz (book mentioned above)
11) Sefer Luchot Zikaron - Ha'Ir Krakow Ve'Gedolei (Memorial Book - The town of Krakow and its leaders)
Written by Chaim Dobarish Friedberg - Frankfurt am Maine 1904.
Second edition in Israel - 1969
Contents: A history of Krakow Rabbis and leaders, including texts from their graves and remarks concerning Jewish life in Poland and Germany. The end of the book has a big index of names.
12) Anaf Eitz Avot (A branch of family tree)
Written by Samuel Zingvil Kahan in Krakow - 1903
~ 50 pages
Contents: History and family trees of some families in Krakow, including of families:
This site is hosted at no cost by JewishGen, Inc., the Home of Jewish Genealogy.
If you have been aided in your research by this site and wish to further our
mission of preserving our history for future generations, your
JewishGen-erosity is greatly appreciated.
Jewish Gen Home Page | KehilaLinks Directory
Compiled by Eilat Gordin Levitan. Updated February 29, 2020 Copyright © 2007 Eilat Gordin Levitan (email@example.com).