Ulanów and surrounding towns (from a Travel Brochure)
Editor’s note: The translation
is handwritten, making it difficult to read, so please excuse any
spelling errors (especially of town names).
Today's region of Zeshow is on the south eastern end of Poland. It has a direct connection with the ocean through the Rivers Vistula and San. They cross the area Mielec, Tarnobzeg and towns: Ulanów, Uscryki, Lesko, Sanok, Bzozow, Premysl, Jaroslaw, Lezaj, Nizan and Tarnobzeg.
That rich body of water was in the past a significant way of transportation, connecting Sanok and Pzemysl with the economic and cultural places of our country: Warsaw, Bydgose[?], Torun, Gdansk.
Near the San by Premysl were warehouses of salt mines. Subsequently, the beginning of the San River was the opening for port cities: Ulanów, Radymno, Jaroslaw, Nielepkowice, Trynera, Sieniawa, Lezaj___, Bieliny (?), Kzesrow, Radomysl.
The first most important port on the San River was Jaroslow. There were huge warehouses, similar to the ones we can see still today in Torun and Gdansk. Grain was shipped to Gdansk from the port of Jaroslow, food product to Warsaw, wicker baskets and others to Radymno. Ships were built and repaired in Ulanów, Jaroslaw, Nielepkowice, and Sandomier.
Ulanów was an important steady rafting place. The good location helped the development of the city- by the River and near two large deep forests, Sandomier and Solski.
The origin of Ulanów was established by an archeological dig, which revealed that man settled there at least 6000 years ago. The oldest historic reference was found in a chronicle by Jan Dlugosz in “Liber Bene Ficiorum”, where he describes that because of the convenient location many ships and rafts with merchandise stopped in Ulanów.
[Ulanów’s beginnings] In the beginning of XVII century, the owner of the village Beilin was an industrialist Stanislaw De Ulina Magna Ulinski, who in 1616 got permission by King Zygmunt III to establish a city based on Magdeburg’s Law. The city was self governed and had the freedom to develop within its boundaries. The residents had no restrictions and were happy with their freedom. The local authorities were divided into two branches: Administrative and Judiciary. The judiciary had a lot of power. The founder gave his name to the city, Ulinow, but later it was changed to Ulanów. Stanislaw De Ulina Magna Ulinski had a coat of arms with a stamp “Dolenga”, made out of silver with an arrow in the middle and a cross on a blue horse shoe shaped background. This was also the coat of arms of the city, displayed in the City Hall, until it was destroyed during the war by the occupants.
Ulanów’s residents worked as craft men (?), blacksmiths, made clothing and built bouts and rafts. Watermanship (?) was the most popular occupation. They organized an association, elected a Head Maste___ (?) “older brother (?)”, had special privileges.
A significant battle with Sweden took place near Ulanów.
In 1809, Josef Poniatowski fought the Austrian army from his headquarters in Ulanów.
Ulanów was situated on the border between Austria and Russia during the partition. It was a good place for contact particularly at the November uprising. The residents of Ulanów took an active part in the January uprising and in the People’s Spring revolt. Ulanów was the place of “resistance” from the beginning of the occupation till the end of W.W.II. They also supported the partizan groups in their activities against Hitler’s well formed army.
In 1944, after the Red Army liberated Ulanów, the city rebuilt communal, educational and cultural activities.
Lately Huta Stalowa Wola established a resort place for their employees, also available for tourists, because of the good geographical location. Hopefully, other industrial establishments will be interested in new commercial modern enterprises in Ulanów.
Ulanów distinguishes herself with its beautiful geographical location in the middle, between the Rivers San and Tanwia, surrounded with old rests, that reach the city streets. Great (?) fresh air, not polluted with factory smoke. Bathing is possible in the San (?) River water. It is a peaceful and quiet place for tourists, who want to get away from community and industrial pressures.
Ulanów is “the place” thanks to the beautiful landscaping, nice old landmarks U interesting history of the land.
Ulanów has a direct bus connection to many cities: Zeshow---70 km.; Zamose (?)---105 km.; Rudnik---7 km.; Nisko---7 km. One can reach Rudnik & Nisko by train. Railway track 555--- Pzewrsk (?)-Rozwadow.
It’s worth while to visit the original market place with interesting houses from the 19th century, a parochial church with beautiful art on the walls, a brick house, a balcony that Poniatowski resided in 1809. It is also noteworthy to mention the old wooden church from the 17th century and the graves on the cemetery of the revolutionaries from 1830, 1863 and the participants of W.W.I and W.W.II.
From Ulanów one can organize excursions to near and far places. The roads are full of beautiful flowers through fields and woods and are conducive for vacations. San and Tanwia rivers assure many romantic attractions and water sports.
© Copyright 2017 Kolbuszowa Region Research Group. All rights reserved.
Back to Ulanów Main Page